Nothing is more worrisome as a parent than a sick or injured child. On top of the health concern, you have to try to figure out where to take your young one for the proper care – do you go to the ER? Your regular pediatrician? An urgent care facility?
What qualifies as a pediatric emergency, and when can you visit urgent care instead if your regular pediatrician isn’t available? Here’s your quick guide!
What Qualifies as a Pediatric Emergency?
You should have your child evaluated at a pediatric emergency care facility as soon as possible for any of the following symptoms:
- Concussions or other severe head trauma
- Excessive and / or ongoing diarrhea or vomiting
- Exposure to poison or other toxins
- Fever that doesn’t respond to fever-reducing medicine
- Inability to wake them
- No bowel movements for a few days and / or painful bowel movements
- Severe dehydration
- Severe injuries
- Severe pain
- Trouble breathing, indicated by signs such as flared nostrils or wheezing
- Wounds that won’t stop bleeding
- Any other life-threatening concerns
When Urgent Conditions Can Be Treated at a Children’s Urgent Care?
If your child’s doctor isn’t available but your child has one of the following, you can have them seen at a pediatric urgent care facility:
- Congestion / runny nose
- COVID symptoms
- Flu / colds
- Head injuries that aren’t severe
- Injuries such as sprains and strains and cuts / wounds
- Sore throat
- Stomach pain
- Vomiting and / or diarrhea
When in doubt about what qualifies as a pediatric emergency, contact your child’s pediatrician to see where you should go for treatment. However, if there are life-threatening symptoms, you should call 911 and go to the nearest hospital.
Pediatric Urgent Care Is Available to You Here at POP NOW
As an extension of Potomac Pediatrics, we are here Monday through Saturday from 7 am to 7 pm for after-hours care.
Contact us today at 301-279-6750 for questions, or come into our conveniently located Rockville urgent care to have your child seen quickly. Our #1 priority is helping our young patients restore health while putting your mind at ease!